Welcome to the
Student Services Department
Stay connected with us on Twitter! @VianneyGuidance
Counseling & College Advising
At St. John Vianney High School, through the collaboration of the counseling curriculum, leadership center, faculty, staff, and community, young men learn and possess academic, social, emotional, and critical thinking skills that will prepare them for collegiate, career, and life-long learning. All students participate in grade-level appropriate lessons that provide them the knowledge to both obtain and attain personal and spiritual growth.
St. John Vianney High School counseling and leadership center is dedicated to advocating on behalf of our young men academically, socially, emotionally, and spiritually to provide an inclusive and fully implemented guidance curriculum rooted in the Catholic Marianist tradition.
St. John Vianney School Counselors believe:
- All students can achieve high academic standards that will result in college and career success.
- In creating equity for knowledge and diverse opportunity to a college preparatory curriculum.
- Integrity and character development parallels academic achievement.
- Analyzing data is essential to the development of our comprehensive guidance curriculum translating to student success.
Our Guidance and Counseling Program includes:
- CURRICULUM consists of classroom lessons and large group presentations.
- INDIVIDUAL PLANNING consists of activities that help all students plan, monitor, and manage their own learning as well as their personal and career development.
- RESPONSIVE SERVICES consists of activities to meet the immediate needs and concerns of students.
- SYSTEM SUPPORT consists of management activities that establish, maintain, and enhance the total guidance program. Counselors serve as a resources to the entire school community, consulting with parents, teachers, and school administrators.
Guidance and Counseling Services:
- individual academic advisement
- individual assistance with course selection and scheduling
- study skills and test-taking strategies
- college and post-secondary planning
- presentations and informational sessions on college planning
- preparation for standardized tests (ACT Aspire, junior PSAT, and ACT or SAT)
- college fairs and college representative visits
- career decision-making
- individual and group counseling
- crisis counseling
- conflict resolution and healthy relationships education
- classroom presentations on mental health and wellness
- staffings with students, parents, teachers, administrators
While there are a number of scheduled times a student will meet with his counselor, we encourage Griffins to initiate contact anytime a student services department member may be of assistance.
For Griffins With Learning Differences
Vianney works with many Griffins who learn differently from their peers. Our learning consultants are available to assist Griffins with diagnosed learning differences or diagnosed medical conditions. Extended time accommodations may be given for students that qualify according to documented diagnoses.
Please visit our Learning Consultant Page for more information.