Vianney offers a number of need-based scholarships. Many of these are provided by families and organizations with a close connection to Vianney, and we are grateful for their ongoing commitment to our mission.
Families who wish to be considered for a need-based scholarship must complete these two steps by March 1, 2019:
- Smart Aid Application
- Need-Based Scholarship Application
These are the scholarships available:
Nick and John Allen Family Eagle Scout Scholarship: Established in 2018, this $1,000 non-renewable scholarship is awarded to a student who has achieved the rank of Eagle Scout and has good moral character. A student can only be awarded this scholarship one time.
- Robert Wm. Bosslet Jr. Memorial Scholarship: Established by his family in 2011, the Robert Bosslet Scholarship is a $1,000 annual, renewable scholarship awarded to a student who has earned and maintains at least a 3.0 grade point average.
Christopher H. Buehrle Memorial Fund: Established in 2018 by the Buehrle Family, this memorial fund is designed to help alleviate the potential financial hardship incurred by the passing of a student’s parent or legal guardian. This is a non-renewable scholarship for up to 10% of Vianney’s annual tuition. This grant may be utilized during the school year which the parent or legal guardian passes away or during the subsequent school year if the passing occurs after March 1.
Tom Cella Memorial Scholarship: Established in 2005 by the Cella family and Dan McLaughlin '92 in honor of Tom Cella '92, this $2,500 scholarship is awarded to a sophomore who has at least a 2.5 grade point average and is involved in at least one school activity. The scholarship is renewable for the junior and senior years.
Dennis and Patricia Fesler Memorial Scholarship: Established in 2018, there are as many as four $5,000 renewable scholarships awarded to students who have good moral character, maintain a 2.5 GPA, and demonstrate need.
- Rev. August Frische Memorial Scholarship: Father Frische was the first president of Chaminade College Preparatory in St. Louis . He passed away in 1947, having lived his last years on the Chaminade campus. This scholarship is made possible by the Society of Mary. This scholarship provides financial assistance to relatives of professed Marianists who attend St. John Vianney High School. Scholarship recipients must demonstrate a financial need.
- Kathleen A. Gau Memorial Scholarship: Established in 2011 by Mrs. Gau's husband, Robert A. Gau, this is an annual, renewable scholarship of $2,647.48 available to an incoming freshman. To be eligible for this scholarship, the student must be of good moral character and must have and maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average.
- Jack Glaser Memorial Scholarship: This is a variable, non-renewable scholarship awarded to a current Vianney student. Jack Glaser ’74 was a long-time Vianney teacher and administrator who died in 2004. This scholarship is supported through annual donations by family and friends.
- Brett Grant Memorial Scholarship: This scholarship was established in 2017 by the Grant family in honor of their son and brother, Brett Grant ’85. Brett was a man of faith who believed in giving back to his community. This $1,000 scholarship is awarded to a sophomore who has at least a 2.5 grade point average and makes an impact through service to his community. The scholarship is renewable for the recipient’s junior and senior years.
- Brian Gruender Scholarship: The Gruender family established this scholarship in 2007 in honor of Brian Gruender '08. Up to three non-renewable $1,000 scholarships will be awarded each year to sophomores, juniors or seniors. To be eligible, a student must have at least a 2.0 grade point average, have good conduct and be involved in at least one school activity.
- McBride Alumni Scholarship: This is a non-renewable $1,500 scholarship granted to a relative of a McBride High School alumnus.
- Clayton Pfeiffer Memorial Scholarship: Established in 2012 by his family in honor of Clayton Pfeiffer, this $1,000 scholarship is awarded to a junior who has at least a 2.5 grade point average and is involved in at least one school activity. The applicant must complete the scholarship essay and obtain one letter of recommendation from a teacher, staff member or coach at St. John Vianney High School.
- Daniel L. Ringwald Scholarship: The Ringwald family established this scholarship in 2005 to honor Daniel Ringwald '87. As many as four $1,500 renewable scholarships may be awarded each year to students who demonstrate academic progress.
- Lt. Daniel P. Riordan Scholarship: Established in 2007 by the Riordan family in honor of 1st Lt. Daniel P. Riordan '01, this $4,000 scholarship is for an incoming freshman and may be renewed each year. It recognizes students who exhibit the qualities of faith, honor and service. A separate application and an interview are required (a separate application will be mailed to students who qualify for this scholarship).
- Patrick & Peggy Sly Scholarship: Through the generosity of Pat and Peggy Sly, there are as many as 13 renewable scholarships awarded to students who demonstrate a financial need, are of good moral character, and have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average. The scholarship recipient must be enrolled at Vianney. Once awarded, it may be maintained the following years as requirements are met.
- Tom Valenti Memorial Scholarship: Established in 2009 by his family and friends in honor of Tom Valenti ‘79, this $750 scholarship is awarded to a sophomore, junior or senior who is of good character, has at least a 2.5 grade point average and is involved in at least one school activity. The applicant must complete the scholarship essay and obtain one letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach or administrator at St. John Vianney High School. This scholarship is renewable if the recipient is a sophomore or junior.
- Alumni Association Scholarship: This is a renewable scholarship for up to 15% of Vianney's annual tuition awarded to the son, step-son or grandson of a Vianney alumnus. This scholarship is supplemented annually through the Alumni Association Golf Tournament and Trivia Night.